Thursday, September 22, 2016

Book Review-The Captive Heart By Michelle Griep


The Captive Heart
By:  Michelle Griep
Publisher:  Barbour Publishing, Inc.
Shiloh Run Press


Description:
Proper English governess Eleanor Morgan flees to the colonies to escape the wrath of a brute of an employer. When the Charles Town family she's to work for never arrives to collect her from the dock, she is forced to settle for the only reputable choice remaining to her—marriage to a man she's never met. Trapper and tracker Samuel Heath is a hardened survivor used to getting his own way by brain or by brawn, and he's determined to find a mother for his young daughter. But finding a wife proves to be impossible. No upstanding woman wants to marry a murderer.

My Review:
Although this is my first reading of work by Michelle Griep, I assure you it will not be my last.  What a compelling story!  I was hooked from page one and kept on the edge of my seat until the last page was read.   I read it in one setting.  I just couldn’t put it down.

The characters were so real you immediately became caught up in the story.  It was easy to sympathize with both Eleanor and Samuel.  Eleanor had to leave England and when her would-be employer was a no show, she had no choice but to marry a complete stranger so she could care for his daughter and have a home for herself.  Samuel is very protective of Grace and will do anything to insure she is well cared for.  He is haunted by his past and finds it easier to live away from civilization as much as possible.  As they struggle with the journey set before them, they find the courage  to love and rebuild their lives. 

MS. Griep’s descriptions are so real you can feel the despair, smell the unwashed bodies in the ship’s hold, and yet experience love and compassion at the same time.  It is a beautifully written story.  This book is well worth reading as it will leave you with a renewed spirit.

Disclosure: I was given a copy of this eBook by the publisher, Barbour Publishing, Inc. through Net Galley, blogger review program, for an honest review.   I was not required to write a favorable review nor was I compensated for my review. The opinions in this review are my own.


No comments: