Saturday, June 25, 2016

Book Review-Counted With the Stars By Connilyn Cossette


Counted With the Stars
By:  Connilyn Cossette
Publisher:  Bethany House

About the book:
Kiya is sold into slavery by her father to a mistress, Tekurah, who enjoys nothing more than humiliating her and the man she is supposed to marry deserts her.  When the plagues come Kiya is in the middle of it all.   In order to save her brother and free herself from slavery, she flees Egypt with the Hebrews during their Exodus.  Kiya finds herself depending on a God she knows nothing about and she falling in love with a man who despises all Egyptians, including her, even though she has done nothing to him.  Her incredible journey is not only physical but also one of the heart as she opens it to the one and only Yahweh and falls in love with a man who despises her. 

My Review:
Can you imagine a life of being sold into slavery by your own father and fleeing your home country with people who serve a God that is foreign to you?  I can’t even begin to imagine what life was like for Kiya as she took this spiritual and physical journey.  Thankfully in the midst of all this turmoil she is befriended by a Hebrew slave, Shira, who shares her faith in God.  During the long Exodus Shira and her brother Eben help Kiya and her brother, Jumbo, learn to accept the Hebrew ways and teach them about God. 

All of my life I have read the Exodus from the Bible but never took the time until now to look at it through the eyes of a slave.  Cossette’s version of this story will forever challenge me to look at things from both angles.  As I read this book I enjoyed learning about Egyptian culture. I was also filled with wonder as I read about the plagues again with this time being an accounting from a slave girl.  With Cossette’s descriptions of the plagues you could feel the fear that Kiya felt and the awe she felt in the presence of Moses and when God spoke.  It was such a surreal feeling.   This book is filled with God’s love, goodness and mercy.  After reading it, you will feel a renewing of God’s love in your heart and it will remain with you long after you have read the last page.  I highly recommend this book.  It is one of the best fictional stories of the Exodus I have ever read.  I love that the basis of the story stuck to the scriptural accounting from the Bible.  It is a definite must-read!

Disclosure: I was given a copy of this eBook by the publisher, Bethany House, through NetGalley blogger program for review. I was not required to write a favorable review nor was I compensated for my review. The opinions in this review are my own.

No comments: