Sunday, December 6, 2015

Book Review - The Girl from the Train By Irma Joubert



The Girl from the Train
By Irma Joubert
Publisher:  Thomas Nelson



Gretl Schmidt, six years old is on a train with her family bound for Auschwitz.  Jakob Kowalski who is part of the Polish resistance against Germany and Russia must destroy a German troop transport train and plants a bomb on the tracks.  Little did he realize the train he blew up was the on Gretl and her family was riding.  She was the only survivor.  Although Gretl was spared the Concentration Camp, being a Catholic orphaned German-Jew in a country that is hostile to her people is dangerous.  Jakob spends three years caring for her and guarding her secret.  When it is no longer safe for her to remain with him, he sends her to South Africa where German orphans are placed with Protestant families.  They are promised bright futures as long as no one ever finds out Gretl’s true secret. 

Jakob is broken-hearted because he will never be able to see Gretl grow up. Time, events and politics will send Jakob across the continents in search of a safe-haven...Will Gretl and Jakob ever see each other again?  Will their hearts ever be able to triumph over the ravages of war?  Those questions will be answered as you turn the pages of “The Girl from the Train”.

Few books touch my heart the way this one did.   It will be with me long after I read the last page.  I was hooked from the very first page.  I couldn’t put it down because I had to keep turning the pages to find out what would happen to Jakob and six-year-old Gretl as they struggled to survive the ravages war and to keep the secrets they must in order for them to stay safe.  This book is filled with love, trust and forgiveness in the face of adversity.  This is truly a must-read book especially if you like books that take place during World War II.  I would give this book ten stars!
Disclosure: I was given a copy of this eBook by the publisher, Thomas Nelson, through NetGalley blogger program for review. I was not required to write a favorable review nor was I compensated for my review. The opinions in this review are my own.

No comments: