Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Book Review-Forgiven By Terri Roberts


Forgiven
By:  Terri Roberts
With Jeanette Windle
Publisher:  Bethany House


From The Back of the Book:

After a son does the unthinkable, how can a mother go on?

On October 2, 2006, a gunman entered an Amish one-room schoolhouse, shooting ten girls, killing five, then finally taking his own life. This is his mother's story. Not only did she lose her precious son through suicide, but she also lost her understanding of him as an honorable man. It was a trauma that none should ever have to face.

But the biggest headlines came when her Amish neighbors did the unimaginable, reaching out to the family of the shooter with comfort and forgiveness. Today Terri lives in harmony with the Amish and has built lasting relationships beyond what anyone could have thought possible. From the grace that the Amish showed Terri's family from day one, to the visits and ongoing care Terri has given to the victims and their families, no one could have foreseen the love and friendship that have been forged from the fires of tragedy.

My Review:
This is truly a book you will have a difficult time putting down.  It will capture your heart from the very first page. Just be sure to keep a box of tissues nearby.   I remember when the Nickle Mines tragedy was all over the news and I remember thinking how will those families ever be able to pick up the pieces and go on.  I wondered even though they were Amish, if they would be able to forgive as their faith teaches.  I thought about the young man, wondering what caused him to be able to take all those lives and his own.  The more I thought about him, the more I thought about his family.  My heart truly ached for everyone involved.  Through reading Terri’s story, again my heart broke because she not only carried the burden for what her son had done to others, but she also had to deal with her emotions and heartbreak from losing her own son.  Her journey to find forgiveness and restore her faith will have you in tears.  She and her husband along with the Amish Community have truly found “joy through adversity”.   I am glad they have found healing, hope, forgiveness and peace.  God truly does work miracles by turning tragedy into something good.  Eventhough this is about a horrible tragedy it will bless your heart and restore your faith. 
Disclosure: I was given a copy of this book by the publisher, Bethany House, through the blogger program for review. I was not required to write a favorable review nor was I compensated for my review. The opinions in this review are my own.

No comments: