Thursday, September 3, 2015

Book Review-The Hunter of Hertha By Tess Collins




The Hunter of Hertha
By:  Tess Collins
Publisher:  BearCat Press

For Connor Herne, there is no place in the world better than the mountains of eastern Kentucky. As a child Connor’s life was plagued by many events he didn’t understand, such as why he didn’t resemble anyone in his family and why his sister, Temperance (Tempy) always looked at him in an odd way.  He also wondered why Tempy seemed to love girls…well at least one girl in particular, better than boys.  As a child he was just like any other child, full of mischief and adventure, but he was very protective to a fault of those he loved, especially his family and close friends.  He just couldn’t stand to see anyone bullied even though he and his friends bullied “Little Preacher Boy” because in their opinion, he needed it!  As he grows older and matures he comes even stronger and more loyal so when he finds corruption running rampant in his beloved Appalachian Mountains, he fights to bring justice to the town and bring down a corrupt dynasty, even though it will hold the key to his past and endanger his daughter. 

MS Collins does a fabulous job in developing the characters of her book and she very accurately describes the setting in Eastern Kentucky.  Although she paints poverty as ugly, she never degrades those who have to live in such poverty.  She paints them as being courageous.  She has the ability to make you, the reader, become entwined in the characters of the book.  Although this is not my normal genre, I am so glad I read it.  I now plan to go back and read the first in the series.  I originally chose this book because its setting is in the beautiful Appalachia’s of Kentucky which is also where my family originated.  It is definitely worth the read!


Disclosure: I was given a copy of this eBook by the publisher, BearCat Press, through NetGalley blogger program for review. I was not required to write a favorable review nor was I compensated for my review. The opinions in this review are my own.

No comments: