Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Book Review-Samantha Sanderson Off The Record By Robin Caroll


Samantha Sanderson:  Off the Record
(Faithgirlz)
By:  Robin Caroll
Publisher:  Zondervan

Sam (Samantha) Sanderson’s mom is an award-winning journalist and her father is a Little Rock police officer. Sam wants to follow in her mother’s footsteps.  She is a reporter for her middle school’s newspaper and hopes to become chief editor before going into the ninth grade, because that is the only way a freshman is allowed to write for the paper.

In this book the school’s grades are tampered with and Sam along with her bestie, MaKayla,  hack into the school’s system to find the virus and who committed the crime.  All investigations seem to lead to her new friend, Felicia.  Sam has a real dilemma, does she stick by her friend or does she report the story?

Sarah’s (age 10) Review:
Samantha always wanted be a reporter like her mom and she thought she would be good at it because her dad is on a detective for the police department.

There is a mystery at school that has to do with grades being changed by a virus.  Sam wants the scoop but when she finds out they are blaming her friend she is not so sure she wants to get her in trouble.  She has a tough time deciding if she should be a friend or write the story.

I loved this book because it was a mystery and I wanted to keep reading it.  (my parents finally made me turn the light off and go to bed).  I was glad Sam was able to help find out what happened and was able to help her friend.  She leaned that being the kind of person God wants you to be is better than anything else.  I learned that it is great to have a good friend but even better to trust the Lord in everything.   This book was so awesome I can’t wait to read the next book in the series. 


My Review:

This is an excellent young reader book.  It has just enough mystery and action to keep the young reader interested, while showing them that no matter what the situation may be, there is always a choice.  It also shows if you choose Godly friends, they are the ones who will stick with you and help you pray about the situation.  God’s love is evident with MaKayla and Sam as they search to clear Felicia of a crime they don’t think she committed and with Makayla for staying with Sam when she learns her mother has been in a plane crash.  These two girls learned that getting the scoop is not what God always wants from us and they learned that love thy neighbor doesn’t necessarily mean your next door neighbor but those you come in contact with on a daily basis. 

This is a fabulous book for the middle-school aged children.  I can’t wait to share it with my granddaughter.

Disclosure: I was given a copy of this Book by the publisher, ZonderKidz, Z Blog Squad for an honest review.   I was not required to write a favorable review nor was I compensated for my review. The opinions in this review are my own.

No comments: