Thursday, April 16, 2015

Book Review-Who You Are By John Croyle


Who You Are
(Defying the Circumstances That Define Us)
By:  John Croyle
Publisher:  B & H Publishing Group

Life doesn’t always turn out the way we wanted or planned for it to.  There are circumstances and events we often wish we could rewind or at least touch up, but that can’t happen either.  However we can stop the cycle by how we react to the events in our lives as evidenced by the children of Big Oak Ranch under the leadership of John Croyle and his wife Tee.  He teaches the children that come into his life to trust again, which not an easy task because of the tragedies in their lives.  He teaches them that where they came from, those awful events, is not the full picture of their lives and it certainly is not the ending.

Although Mr. Croyle writes about the events of Big Oak Ranch and the children he has been blessed to parent, this book goes far beyond those stories.  It causes deep soul searching in your life as you read of the tragedies in such young lives and how they were able to overcome.  He stated in the beginning of his book that he hopes each reader will walk away with two or three things that will make you want to “dust off the rust from your drive and fighting spirit”.  He hopes it will make you want to go after the things in your life that you have been afraid of or are avoiding.

I learned you are never too old to start your journey to regain your focus and it is never too late to ask God for forgiveness as long as you have breath.  These stores of Big Oak Ranch’s Children touched my heart to tears because of what they endured before John and Tee came into their lives, but it also made me do a deep self-examination of where I stand in my life’s journey.  I can say I found myself falling very short and some of the things I have been experiencing have been stealing my joy, but more importantly it taught me how to regain that joy.

This is a book well worth reading.  I know it will touch your heart as it has mine. 

Disclosure: I was given a copy of this Book by Shelby Janner, Senior Publicist at, B & H Publishing Group,  for review. I was not required to write a favorable review nor was I compensated for my review. The opinions in this review are my own.

No comments: