Thursday, April 2, 2015

Book Review-A Sparrow in Terezin By Kristy Cambron



 

A Sparrow in Terezin
By:  Kristy Cambron
Publisher:  Thomas Nelson
Release Date:  April 7, 2015

Although years separate Sera James (present day) and Kaja Makowsky (1942) their lives are paralleled as they both fight for their survival and for those they love.

Sera, faced with a brutal legal battle against her fiancé, William Hanover for a crime he didn’t commit, must fight for him and her family, before there is any hope for their future.

Kaja barely escapes occupied Prague while having to leave her half-Jewish family behind. Once she learns Jews are being killed by the thousands in concentration camps, she must return to smuggle her family to safety.

Once I started reading this book, I couldn’t put it down.  It is seldom I find a book that makes time and commitment irrelevant, but that is exactly what this book did.  I couldn’t wait to turn the next page.  MS Cambron writes this heart-wrenching story vacillating between present day and WWII.  She is able to write detailed historical facts of violent atrocities, without being overly graphic.  Yet you are able to understand exactly what each girl is facing.  As I read, I could feel God’s grace give them hope and endurance as they struggled with the atrocities of WWII’s concentration camp and modern day brutality.  This is a book that will break your heart and will put it back together as their mysteries and tragedies unfold.  It will remain in your heart long after you have read the last page.

I have not read the first book in this series, but I am off to do so now while anxiously awaiting the next in the series.
Disclosure: I was given a copy of this book by the publisher, Thomas Nelson, through NetGalley blogger program for review. I was not required to write a favorable review nor was I compensated for my review. The opinions in this review are my own.

No comments: