Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Book Review-Liar's Bench by Kim Michele Richardson


Liar’s Bench
By:  Kim Michele Richardson
Publisher:  Kensington

1972, rural Peckinpaw, Kentucky still has not come to grips with the Civil Rights movement and has kept the secret of Frannie Crow for over a century, but that is all soon to end.

Frannie, a slave, was unjustly hanged and her gallows was used to build a bench in the town’s square as a tribute of sorts…but the locals called it Liar’s Bench as many a lie had been concocted while sitting on that bench. 

Mudas Summer’s seventeenth birthday was anything but happy because that day her mother, Ella, was found hanging from the rafters.  Everyone said she committed suicide because she was tired of her husband’s abuse.  However Mudas is convinced her mother wouldn’t commit suicide and her good-for-nothing step father is behind it.  She enlists the help of Bobby Marshall, a descendant of Frannie Crow, which was frowned upon by the community.  They begin the dangerous journey to prove her mother’s innocence. 

This book is filled with years of hatred, lies and corruption in the small town of Peckinpaw.  It has enough twists and turns to keep you turning the pages.  I found myself cheerleading for Muddy as she struggled to understand the town’s prejudices, Civil Rights, family lies and coming of age. In my opinion I was disappointed that it seemed to portray rural Kentuckians as ignorant and they only way to “come of age” was to have sex at the age of seventeen.  All in all the storyline was good and the dialect was right for the rural area.  I would recommend this book only if you can read about the Civil Rights movement with an open mind. 

Disclosure: I was given a copy of this eBook by the publisher, Kensington, through NetGalley blogger program for review. I was not required to write a favorable review nor was I compensated for my review. The opinions in this review are my own.

No comments: