Monday, March 2, 2015

Book Review-The Pirate and the Firefly by Tara McClary, Amanda Jenkins

Children's Christian Fiction

The Pirate and the Firefly
By:  Tara McClary Reeves &
Amanda Jenkins
Illustrations By:  Daniel Fernandez
Publisher:  B & H Publishing Group

From the Back of the Book:
What should a pirate do when following his mates means not following God?

Oliver is excited to be part of a pirate crew led by his new friend Captain Cole.  But when the buccaneers cause trouble and make bad choices, Oliver’s conscience bothers him.  Can he sail with his friends and still follow God?  In this swashbuckling tale, Phineas the firefly teaches Oliver that true friends don’t tempt us to do wrong or dangerous things…

My Review:
This is an adorable hardcover book that is sure to capture the heart of any little boy from ages 4-8, who loves pirates.  The cover’s illustration along with the story’s illustrations will certainly hold the attention of even the youngest child and keep them turning the pages.  I also think it would be a great reminder about not bullying and making bad choices or choosing the wrong types of friends for older children.  It is written in easy to understand language that will keep your child wanting to hear the story over and over again as they learn about courage, choices, growing in self-esteem, choosing friends wisely and more importantly growing in God’s Word.  I love how Phineas teaches Oliver about making wise choices that will lead to the best kind of treasure using Psalm 1:1-3. In my opinion, this is one of the best Christian-based little boy books I have read in a long time.  I would highly recommend this book.  I am simply blown away by the story line of this book and the illustrations.

Disclosure: I was given a copy of this Book by publicist, Sara Pence, Shelton International, B & H Publishing Group, Nashville, TN, for an honest review.   I was not required to write a favorable review nor was I compensated for my review. The opinions in this review are my own.


No comments: