Monday, March 2, 2015

Book Review-A Harvest of Hope by Lauraine Snelling


A Harvest of Hope
By:  Lauraine Snelling
Publisher:  Bethany House

This is another wonderful book about the Bjorklund family and Blessing, N. Dakota that is sure to bless your heart.

This novel is the continuing saga of the Bjorklund doctors, the town of Blessing, immigrants and Miriam returning from Chicago after the death of her mother to continue her nursing studies under Drs. Elizabeth and Astrid.  From the minute Miriam steps off the train she is swept into the day to day hardships of a frontier town and is also struggling with her feelings for Trygve Knutson. The town is filled with tragedy from the death of a baby, to a fire that nearly ruins the whole town, to yes even racial unrest.  Can Miriam and the town find peace?  This question will be answered as you turn the pages of this novel

This book transported me back to a time my grandparents and parents used to tell me stories about.  A time when God came first and families and neighbors worked together in times of need to help each other.  It has its growth issues the same as any town and it had its share of racism because there was such a melting pot of nationalities.  Blessing, by any means was not perfect, but it was built strongly on faith and Christian values, triumph over tragedy and love for their fellowman.  As I read it, it made me wish I had lived in that kind of community.  This book will make you fall in love with its characters.  It will make you laugh and cry, but you will walk away with an uplifted heart and know that in the face of tragedy God is still in control and His love will prevail.  I highly recommend this book.  Although this is not the first book of the Bjorklunds, you do not need to read the others to understand the characters of this book…however…you will want to read them!

Disclosure: I was given a copy of this eBook by the publisher, Bethany House, through NetGalley blogger program for review. I was not required to write a favorable review nor was I compensated for my review. The opinions in this review are my own.

No comments: