Monday, October 27, 2014

Book Review-A Light in the Wilderness

A Light in the Wilderness
By:  Jane Kirkpatrick
Publisher:  Revell

To Letitia nothing is more important than papers she has that says she is no longer a slave.  Although she cannot read, she knows the words on those papers give her the right to a future without a master and having her children sold into slavery.  Through a course of events she meets Davey Carson, an Irish Immigrant, who falls in love with her.  Although it is not proper for them to be married hey have their own ceremony with the traveling tinker as a witness.  They begin their journey West, by wagon train in hope of finding a future free to live their lives without ridicule.

This novel is a remarkable story of the journey of three women, Letitia, a freed slave, Nancy Hawkins, a white woman and Betsy, a Kalapuya Indian, as they find friendship and courage to face the future in the American Wilderness.

Ms. Kirkpatrick in my opinion certainly created a master piece with this novel.  The characters were so real I could feel their emotions.  It made me laugh, cry and even hate some of the hardships they had to endure.  This is a book that will stay with you long after you have read the last word.  I would highly recommend this book if you enjoy reading about the American Wilderness and its history. 


Disclosure: I was given a copy of this eBook by the publisher, Revell, through NetGalley blogger program for review. I was not required to write a favorable review nor was I compensated for my review. The opinions in this review are my own.

No comments: