Sunday, September 7, 2014

Book Review- Experiencing the Loss of a Family Member by H. Norman Wright

Experiencing the Loss of a Family Member
By:  H. Norman Wright
Publisher:  Bethany House

Losing a loved one is one of life’s most difficult journeys.  Grief has no time table.  Its effects can last from weeks to months or more and will be overwhelming at times.  In the book “Experiencing the Loss of a Family Member” offers a guide as you deal with grief in assuring you, you are not alone.  God walks every step of the way with you, guiding you to true peace and comfort.

This book deals with general grief, the loss of a spouse, child, parent, sibling, friend and even the loss of a pet.  However I was particularly drawn to the section on the loss of a parent.  Recently I have been struggling with accepting that my parent’s death is imminent.  I didn’t realize when caring for a terminally ill parent, the grieving process can start long before the actual loss occurs.  I have often felt guilty because the feelings I was experiencing were not what I would have expected of me.  In reading this book, I have found that I am not alone.  My feelings don’t make me a bad person---just human.  I learned that grief can steal the ability to pray, leaving you lost and empty, that grief can cause riffs in your family, but more importantly I learned that through it all….no matter the loss God’s spirit is walking with me, even when I am overwhelmed and can’t feel His presence.  In His gentle sweet way He reminds me of His love in a beautiful memory or a kind word from a friend.
Once I finished the section on the death of a parent, I went back and read the other sections.  I am so glad I did as there is such a wealth of information that can be integrated into any situation of loss.

I would highly recommend this book if you are actively dealing with a loss or know that loss is imminent.  It would also be a great reference to those who deal with grief counseling.  There is peace and healing.


Disclosure: I was given a copy of this Book by the publisher, Bethany House, through Bethany House blogger program for review. I was not required to write a favorable review nor was I compensated for my review. The opinions in this review are my own.

No comments: