Saturday, April 26, 2014

Book Review - The Burning by Jane Casey

The Burning
By:  Jane Casey
Publisher:  St. Martin's Press
 
How do you catch a serial killer who has already killed four people and possibly five that no one has seen and most of the evidence has gone up in smoke?  Maeve Kerrigan, an ambitious detective constable, is determined to make her mark on the murder task force, by proving to her male colleagues that her empathy is not a weakness. She feels the more she learns about the latest victim, Rebecca Haworth, from her friends and family, will help bring her killer, dubbed The Burning Man to justice.  As Maeve searches for the answers she needs to find the Burning Man, things are just not adding up so she is beginning to wonder if there is a copycat killer stalking the streets of London?
I found this to be an interesting storyline being told from several perspectives.  It was a bit descriptive at times.  It did wane a bit but then would pick up and move along.  London with its dreary, gray, rainy weather was an ideal setting for this novel. I thought one of the storylines ended a little abruptly but all in all this was well-written and I will look forward to reading the next in the series.  In my opinion it is definitely an adult book.
Disclosure: I was given a copy of this eBook by the publisher, St. Martin’s Press, through NetGalley blogger program for review. I was not required to write a favorable review nor was I compensated for my review. The opinions in this review are my own.

No comments: