Monday, April 7, 2014

Book Reveiw - A Shinning Light by Judith Miller


 
Andrea Wilson suddenly finds herself a widow with her young son, Lukas, to support.  She packs their few belongings and leaves Boston to return home to Iowa in hopes of giving her son a better life only to find her father is dead and the family home has burned.  She has no one to turn to until she meets Brother Bosch who is a member of the local Amana Community.  He offers her a short-term job of working in the kitchen.  Andrea realizes she has no place to turn so accepts the generosity of the Community and feels welcomed by them.  She feels safe and also feels her faith being restored.

The characters in this book were well developed.  I fell in love with Andrea and her son.  I love the way the Amana Community accepted her and how she respected their rules and regulations.  There were several underlying stories throughout the book, and I love the way MS Miller weaves Dirk, the local tinsmith into the heart and lives of Andrea and Lukas. 

To me this book was about finding peace, love and faith no matter what you face in life and no matter where you may end up.  With God on your side He will always provide a way if you have an open heart.   Many years ago I visited the Amana Community and have always been fascinated with their lifestyle.  I love reading about them so this book for me was a “must-read”.   I highly recommend this book, especially if you are looking for an inspirational uplifting read.   MS Miller does a wonderful job of subtly incorporating God and faith in her book without being preachy.

Disclosure: I was given a copy of this Book by the publisher, Bethany House, through Bethany House blogger program for review. I was not required to write a favorable review nor was I compensated for my review. The opinions in this review are my own.

No comments: