Sunday, April 6, 2014

Book Reveiw - For Such a Time by Kate Breslin

This Book Will Leave a Lasing Impression!
One Of The Best I've Read In a Long Time.
 
For Such a Time
by:  Kate Breslin
Publisher:  Bethany House
 

Timeline:  1944 World War II

Hadassah Benjamin who was half Jew, no longer exists.  She became Stella Mueller an Austrian bookkeeper.  With her blonde hair and blue eyes, she was told she would be safe because those physical characteristics were rare in the Jewish people, but she knew beauty could be a dangerous liability.  However she spends several months in Dachau before being rescued from the firing squad, by SS-Kommandant Colonel Aric von Schmidt.  With a fake name and identity papers, she is hired by the Kommandant because of her clerical training to type the names of the Jews who are to be sent to Auschwitz death camp.  Hadessah aka Stella must choose between her people, who are condemned to die, or with her ever-growing attraction for the Kommandant.
Will she follow her heart or will she be used by God who she feels abandoned her?  Bresllin in “For Such a Time” parallels the book of Esther.  Her strong characters makes the book believable.  I was completely mesmerized from the first few pages until the end.  I found myself not being able to put it down and when I couldn’t be reading, I was thinking about what would happen next.  I loved the scripture at the beginning of each chapter from the book of Esther. The book of Esther in the Old Testament is my second favorite, with Ruth being my favorite, so when I was given the opportunity to read “For Such a Time”, there was no hesitation.  Although there are parallels between Esther and Stella this is in no way about Biblical times.  This is the first work that I have read by MS Breslin, but she will be added to my ever-growing list of favorite authors. 

The only downside I had with this book was….I just didn’t have time to read it all in one day.  If you like history and especially World War II, drama and suspense this book is a must read.  
Disclosure: I was given a copy of this Book by the publisher, Bethany House, through Bethany House blogger program for review. I was not required to write a favorable review nor was I compensated for my review. The opinions in this review are my own.

 

 
 

No comments: