Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Book Review - Out of the Ruins by Karen Barnett

Historical Romance



Out of the Ruins
By:  Karen Barnett
Publisher:  Abingdon Press
Publish Date:  May 6, 2014

Abby Fischer prayed for a miracle as her beloved sister lay dying.  She just didn’t realize that God would answer her prayer by sending Robert King, a handsome doctor who was experimenting with treatment for a cure for her sister’s condition.   Abby accompanied her sister on the journey to the hospital in San Francisco and stays with her throughout the treatment.  The treatment cannot save her sister and Abby’s feelings toward Dr. King become all mixed up.  Along with sorrow, the San Francisco earthquake and the fire it becomes a struggle to survive.  She finds herself alone in the burning streets of the city and wonders why God isn’t answering her prayers.  As she watches the city burn she wonders if she will be reunited with the rest of her family or if they have perished in the fire and if Dr. King will find her before it is too late.

I fell in love with the spunky character of Abby the moment she fell from the tree into Dr. King’s arms.  From that moment I felt her sorrow, joy and grief as she had to deal with one blow after the other.  I felt her anguish when she felt God had forsaken her and her joy when she realized He was with her through all her struggles.  I would recommend this book if you desire reading a little about history, tragedy and love.

Disclosure: I was given a copy of this eBook by the publisher, Abingdon Press, through NetGalley blogger program for review. I was not required to write a favorable review nor was I compensated for my review. The opinions in this review are my own.

 

 

No comments: