Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Book Review - The Lady's Maid by Dilly Court

The Lady’s Maid
By: Dilly Court
Publisher:  Random House UK – North America
In 1854 in the quiet of the night on an English countryside, two ladies give birth to daughters.  One mother dies in childbirth and the other mother is forced to give up her child. 
Kate grows up in a life of poverty while Josie lives in the lap of luxury.  Kate is the lady’s maid in the same house as Josie so they become best of friends.  Even though it is unheard of for a servant to become educated, Josie insists that her friend be allowed to attend classes with her.  If the secret of their lives at birth become known, it could change their friendship forever.   Will they ever learn the secret of their birth?  Will Josie marry well?  These are questions that will be answered as you turn the pages of “The Lady’s Maid”.
I was captivated from page one.  I felt the anguish of the mother having to give up her child at birth and the sorrow of the young mother who died in childbirth.  I love historical fiction and this book was not a disappointment.  I am a fan of the contrast between the classes of the English.  This was a book that I certainly wanted to curl up with a comforter and a cup of tea so I could lose myself in the storyline.  For anyone who enjoys historical fiction this is a must read.
Disclosure: I was given a copy of this eBook by the publisher, Random House UK – North America, through NetGalley blogger program for review. I was not required to write a favorable review nor was I compensated for my review. The opinions in this review are my own.

No comments: