Friday, February 7, 2014

Book Review - Doon by Carey Corp & Lorie Langdon

Enchanting, Mystical, Romantic and Mysterious
 Doon
by Carey Corp  & Lorie Langdon
Publisher:  Zondervan
 
Veronica and Mackenna are best friends with completely different backgrounds but swear they each share half their brain.  Veronica comes from a dysfunctional family and longs for acceptance and to feel loved.  She doesn’t think she is crazy but begins to wonder since she is not only seeing a young man in a Scottish kilt in her dreams but also in her waking hours.  Mackenna has inherited a cottage from her aunt in Alloway, Scotland and convinces Veronica to go to Scotland with her for the summer. 
  The girls find Mackenna’s aunt’s diary and some ancient rings which lead them to Doon, a mystical enchanted kingdom with a dark underside.   Doon can only be entered and exited one day every hundred years.  The girls suddenly find themselves in another dimension filled with princes, castles and witches.  Their adventure of a lifetime leaves them having to make decisions that will not only affect their lives but also the lives of the people of Doon. 
This book reminded me so much of the musical Brigadoon, that I was immediately hooked.  There wasn’t anything that I didn’t like about it, except it had to end.  I certainly hope there is a sequel in the making.  It is the perfect book to read for an afternoon of escapism.  It was filled with romance, mystery, intrigue, enchantment and a subtle message of hope. 
This is a book that will definitely be part of my library.  I am sure I will find myself reading it perhaps as many times as I have seen Brigadoon....  I read this in one evening as I couldn’t put it down even though I didn’t want it to end.
Disclosure: I was given a copy of this book by the publisher, Zondervan, through Booksneeze blogger program for review. I was not required to write a favorable review nor was I compensated for my review. The opinions in this review are my own.

No comments: