Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Book Review - The Best of Daughters by Dilly Court

The Best of Daughters
By: Dilly Court
Publisher:  Random House UK – North America
The Best of Daughters takes place in England at the beginning of World War I. 
Daisy Lennox is the oldest daughter and her mother is intent on seeing that her daughter marries well in order to improve their social standing.  Although her mother wants her to marry her brother’s friend, Rupert, the son of a Duke, it is not what Daisy wants.  However, even though Daisy is a good daughter, she has a bit of a rebellious streak.  She becomes active with the suffragette movement as she feels it is a worthy cause for women to be able to vote and to become equals.  The family loses their fortune because her father’s partner embezzles from them.  They lose their affluence and their home and are banished to live in their small country house.  Along with the loss of their fortune Daisy has to give up being a part of the suffragettes to help keep her family together.
This was a fun easy-to-read book, filled with family disaster, war, scandal and love.  It made me laugh and cry.  I loved Daisy from the first page. I would recommend this book because I found it enjoyable and an escape from everyday life for a few hours.
Disclosure: I was given a copy of this eBook by the publisher, Random House UK – North America, through NetGalley blogger program for review. I was not required to write a favorable review nor was I compensated for my review. The opinions in this review are my own.

No comments: