Thursday, November 14, 2013

Book Review - Strait of Hormuz by Davis Bunn

Strait of Hormuz
by David Bunn
Publisher:  Bethany House
Publish Date: November 5, 2013
 
Marc Royce a US former intelligence agent was sent to Geneva to follow the money trail of those funding the Iranian Nuclear Program.  He is unexpectedly reunited with an Israeli nurse, Kitra Korban who he met during Rare Earth.  Just as he recognized her, a bomb exploded in an art gallery nearly killing both of them.  Although Marc thought he had no allies in Geneva he finds he has a great network from countries and cultures that would never work together openly.  Marc begins to think the leads they are following are being leaked purposely to put them on the wrong track.  He has difficulty convincing the US powers to look at the situation from a different angle and finds himself often following his heart and instinct rather than his superior. 
After reading the description of this book I had high expectations; however as the plot was being played out I found myself having to go back and re-read sometimes several pages to make sure that I had not missed a crucial piece of information tying the many characters and events together.  I found it interesting that the author painted the freedom’s in the US as being a sought after life-style in the Middle East, yet at other times eluded that the powers in the military and administration were bungling idiots refusing to listen to the actual people on the ground.  I found myself agreeing with the author in that respect.  With situations in the Middle East playing out daily in our newspapers, I felt this book could easily have been front page news.  I enjoyed the plot of the book but it left me feeling a little disappointed. 
Disclosure: I was given a copy of this eBook by the publisher, Bethany House, through NetGalley  blogger program for review. I was not required to write a favorable review nor was I compensated for my review. The opinions in this review are my own.
 

No comments: