Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Book Review - Take Charge of Your Emotions


Take Charge of Your Emotion
By Dr. Linda J. Solie
Publisher:  Bethany House
In this book, Dr. Solie shows if you are suffering from depression, anxiety, anger, frustration, etc., you are not alone and there is help.  She shows you can take charge of your emotions by: identifying what you are feeling, understanding the connection between your thoughts, feelings and behavior and choosing a new way to think that will produce positive behavior.  Her book guides you through seven steps of dealing with negative feelings.  Some of these steps include self-talk, what is a positive and negative way of talking to ourselves, building a relationship with God and friends, defeating depression and anxiety, conquering anger and finding joy.
I chose to read this book because I have been dealing with a situation that often leaves me suffering from several of the issues discussed in this book.  Although while reading, I was a bit overwhelmed at all the steps and how much journaling it takes to deal with one emotion.  At times I found myself wondering if I will be able to stick with it or if I will give up in defeat, because it takes more time than I have to devote to all the journaling and self- talk.   At this point only time will tell. However, since reading this book, when I am faced with a situation I find myself referring back to see how “they” handled it and start my self-talk and journaling from that point.   Hopefully it will come easier as I become more familiar with the steps. 
If you are dealing with any of these emotions in your life, I would recommend this book .
Disclosure: I was given a copy of this book by the publisher, Bethany House, through Bethany House   blogger program for review. I was not required to write a favorable review nor was I compensated for my review. The opinions in this review are my own.

No comments: