Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Book Review - The Secret Keeper- by Amish Author Beverly Lewis

The Secret Keeper
By:  Beverly Lewis
Publisher:  Bethany House
 
The day after her birthday, Jenny Burns gave her two-week notice at the antique shop where she worked and sold her car.  She was moving to Hickory Hollow to become a seeker in the Amish community.  She had been corresponding with Marnie Lapp for several years and Marnie helped make her dream possible by finding an Amish family for her to live with while she is he went through her proving.  Rebecca and Samuel Lapp are her host family and are a bit uncertain about taking in an Englisher especially since their adopted daughter has been Banned from the Amish Community.  Rebecca and Samuel wonder if they are setting themselves up to be hurt again.  Jenny feels God put the desire in her heart to pursue the Amish way so this truly must be what she is supposed to do.  Can she give up her life of privilege and her family?  Will her family accept her decision to leave them?  Can her relationship with her ex-boyfriend remain buried in the past?  Will the Amish people accept her?  Will she be able to accept there is no religion that is perfect...not even the Amish?  With all these questions whirling around her mind will she have what it takes to become Plain?
For me this is the best book so far I have read by MS Lewis.  I couldn’t wait to turn the next page to find out what was going to happen next.  In reading this, the characters were so real, I could feel their pain, fears, joy and laughter. 
I have read all the books in the Home to Hickory Hollow Series and am in hope there is a sequel to this book.  I would like to know what happens to Jenny in her new life.  (hope, hope)
Disclosure: I was given a copy of this book by the publisher, Bethany House, through Bethany House  blogger program for review. I was not required to write a favorable review nor was I compensated for my review. The opinions in this review are my own.

No comments: