Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Book Review - Children's Book - Mister Max

 
Mister Max – The Book of Lost Things
By:  Cynthia Voigt
Published:  September 10, 1013
Max Stering is the son of theatrical parents, who mysteriously vanish and leave Max alone with his grandmother.  He feels at 12 years of age he is old enough to stay in his parent’s home and care for himself.   To convince his grandmother he can be independent he must find a job in order to support himself.   By accident he finds he has the ability to find lost things.  This book is written somewhat like a play with each job having scenes.  He finds a missing child, a spoon, a dog, lost love, etc, but cannot find an answer to his own problem…his lost parents or can he?
Although this book states it is for grades 3 -7 and ages 8 and up, I feel it is a bit long and wans from time to time to hold the attention of a third or fourth grader.  All in all I feel it is a very good introduction into mystery reading material that can be enjoyed by any gender.
I would recommend this book to anyone who wants to introduce their child to mystery reading.
Disclosure: I was given a copy of this ebook by the publisher, Knopf, through Net Galley blogger program for review. I was not required to write a favorable review nor was I compensated for my review. The opinions in this review are my own.

No comments: