Saturday, September 28, 2013

Book Review - The Back Road - Suspenseful

The Back Road
By: Rachel Abbott
Thomas & Mercer
Publish Date:  October 8, 2013
 
The setting of this book is the English countryside in the village of Little Melham.  The main characters are Max and Ellie Saunders, her half- sister, Leo and an ex-detective Tom Douglas. 
Ellie and her husband Max had just recently renovated and moved into Ellie’s childhood home, because she was in hopes that her father, who left without a word would return.    Ellie was excited about the renovation and convinced Leo to return home to see the house in its new glory, and hoped they could repair the damage of their childhood by Ellie’s mum.  On the night Leo arrived, Abbie Campbell was hit by a car and left for dead.  Later that night her sister Ellie left the house for a late-night rendezvous with her stalker, and Max had not returned home.  If anyone finds out the truth about the hit and run Ellie fears her life and marriage with be ruined although she was not involved with the accident.  A whole lot of people in Little Melham seem to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.  Someone has a lot to answer for and Tom Douglas, the ex-detective and neighbor to Ellie and Max, finds himself right in the middle of the investigation.
As the story unfolded it was filled with unexpected twists and turns.  I found myself holding my breath, and hoping the terror would end.  Each character had a specific role and MS Abbott did a superb job in tying it all together.  I found the book filled with suspense and intrigue.  In my opinion it is a must read for anyone who loves a good mystery.
Disclosure: I was given a copy of this eBook by the publisher, Thomas and Mercer, through Net Galley  blogger program for review. I was not required to write a favorable review nor was I compensated for my review. The opinions in this review are my own.

No comments: