Friday, August 9, 2013

Book Review - Snow on the Tulips by Liz Tolsma

Snow on the Tulips
By:
Liz Tolsma
Publisher:  Thomas Nelson
 
Snow on the Tulips starts with a favorite Scripture of mine Psalms 46. 
The war is coming to an end, but death and destruction still rages on in German Occupied Netherlands.
Cornelia de Vries lost her husband to the war on their wedding night and is now struggling to hide her younger brother so he will not be taken by the Germans to the front lines.  Her brother, Johan sneaks out one night after the Germans line up 10 Dutch Resistance Fighters and execute them as a deterrent to the rest of the town.  Johan just wanted to see for himself what all the shooting was about.  He found one of the men, Gerritt Laninga, had survived.  He immediately takes him home to his sister, changing their lives and the part they will play in the war until liberation by the Canadians.   Cornelia is fearful the Germans will find and execute them for harboring a wanted man, but her Christian teaching will not let her turn her back on him.  As she nurses him back to health the family is tormented by the German Army.  Neighbors are afraid to trust each other.  Decisions are made that often goes against their moral upbringing and they struggle to find peace with those decisions.   
 
Please have a box of tissues nearby while reading this book.  MS Tolsma has written in detail the tragedies of the war and the effect it had not only on this family but all of the people of the Netherlands.  Her details, although complete are not graphic.  I was amazed time and again throughout the book how she portrayed their faith in God and their struggles at times to accept His will, without being over powering.  The characters were well described.  I felt a part of the story and found myself smiling and crying.  I was captivated from the first page.
Although I have not been a great fan of WWII books, this is a book that I will enjoy reading again.
Disclosure: I was given a copy of this book by the publisher, Thomas Nelson, through Booksneeze blogger program for review. I was not required to write a favorable review nor was I compensated for my review. The opinions in this review are my own.

1 comment:

Oma said...

This sounds like a book I might enjoy reading as I was born in the Netherlands after the war. My parents never talked much about the war mainly because they wanted to forget it. I have read other books that described the German occupation of the Netherlands and was disturbed by some of the atrocities of the occupation and the war in general.