Thursday, August 8, 2013

Book Review - A Simple Change by Judith Miller

A Simple Change
By:
Judith Miller
Publisher:  Bethany House
 
Jancey Rhoder never gave thought to moving to Amana, Iowa to join the quite life of the Amana Colonies.  She always thought her life of privilege in Kansas City would insure that she would marry well, and her suitor, Nathan Woodward would eventually become her husband.   Her mother’s ailing health and desire to return to her home in the Amana Colonies caused Jancey to make the decision to give up her life of privilege to care for her mother.  Nathan was not pleased with her decision and she began to wonder if he truly loved her or business that her father owned.  As she began her new life in the Colonies cleaning the living quarters for the outsiders who worked in the mill, she discovered a mysterious bank bag filled with money along with a newspaper clipping of a bank robbery in Kansas City.  Her suitor, Nathan also came to the Colonies to work in the mills as an outsider.  Not to give away any of the story, the following questions will be answered as you turn the pages of this book.  Will Jancey find inner peace and embrace the lifestyle of the Colonies or will she move back to Kansas City?  Is Nathan a bank robber?  Where did the money come from?  Will Jancey find real love with Nathan or someone else?
 I found this book interesting especially since many years ago I traveled to the Amana Colonies and have always been interested in their way of life.  As I read the struggle of Jancey to attain happiness in the simple life of the Colony, inner peace and stronger faith in God, I found myself wondering if I could give up the rat race of today’s fast paced life for the peace of a simpler lifestyle. 
I found this to be a truly inspiring book, with much wisdom, inner struggles with decision making, a little mystery and a little romance all thrown in.  For me it was well worth reading.
Disclosure: I was given a copy of this book by the publisher, Bethany House, through  Bethany House  blogger program for review. I was not required to write a favorable review nor was I compensated for my review. The opinions in this review are my own.

No comments: