Monday, March 25, 2013

Book Review-Signs, Wonders and a Baptist Preacher


 
 I won’t take the time to reiterate what this book is about, as it can easily be read under the description or on the back cover of the book.  This is not a theological or a “preachy type” book.  It is simply about a young man who all of his life had been taught about God, even accepted Him as his personal Savior, but still felt something was missing.  His journey is written in everyday language about his quest to experience a “real time” association with the Father. 
My thoughts about this book:
Many of the issues in this book such as, anxiety and panic attacks, depression, unanswered prayers and hurt from church members (just to name a few) are situations that many of us, including me, have encountered in our lives. If you are like me, I always felt I was less of a person and maybe I wasn’t good enough for God to use in any capacity because of these “shortcomings".  In his book, Chad uses the saints of old, whom we all thought were perfect vessels in which God’s spirit could be represented to show they were not so perfect.  For example, in the beginning,  Abraham, who is the father of many and had great faith, lied about Sarah being his wife not just once but twice to save himself and Peter was filled with intermittent lack of faith.   After reading this book, I realize that God can take these situations in a person’s life and use for His glory and we are not broken, useless vessels.  As Chad’s story unfolds it is filled with events that will make you cry, laugh and most importantly cause you to seek truth and give you hope.   It seems in each situation his bottom line statement was… “willing to follow” and not focus on what it is you are not doing, but what you CAN do.  It was uplifting to know that in God’s sight you are loved and not useless.  I would recommend this book to anyone who is dealing with uncertainty in their life regarding God.  The time I spent with this book was very rewarding.

Disclosure: I was given a copy of this by the publisher, Chosen, a division of Baker Publishing, through Bethany House  blogger program for review. I was not required to write a favorable review nor was I compensated for my review. The opinions in this review are my own.

No comments: