Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Chocolate Chip Cheeseball

I know, I know this is not a card, however cooking is becoming an art, especially in our family.  Time is so limited lately, we are eating on the go.  Literally!   The other day Hubby and I ran in the house grabbed a bottle of water, a slice of bread and lunch meat, folded it over and ran out the door back in the car and ate it as we were backing out of the driveway!  How sad is that?  I finally got my Christmas cards in the mail....such as they are.  Not my usual standards so I didn't even take time to take one picture to share.  I did have a few minutes to start doing some baking.  So far....ginger bread cakes, pumpkin rolls and Choco Dot Pumpkin Cake.  Destination...freezer until Christmas. 
Now having said that, I still don't have my decorating done, no tree yet, a few presents purchased, but not wrapped.  I haven't even planned our menu for our Christmas Eve family dinner.  I'm so far behind.  Can you believe that a cashier at the store today had the audacity to remind me that it was only 13 days till Christmas Eve.  What was wrong with that lady?  Can't she see I'm already stressed?  Sheesh, I know how many days I have.  LOL

Anyway I thought I would share two of our family favorite recipes.  I didn't take a picture of the cheese ball.  I got one from Taste Of Home .  They also have the recipe similar to the one I have.   I can't remember, but I might even have gotten my recipe from Taste Of Home.  I used to subscribe to the magazine. 



Chocolate Chip Cheese Ball
1 pkg. 8oz. cream cheese, room temperature
1/2 cup butter not margarine, room temperature
1/4 tsp. vanilla
2 Tbs. brown sugar
3/4 cup confectioners sugar
3/4 cup mini chocolate chips
3/4 cup finely chopped pecans (optional)
graham crackers, chocolate graham crackers, vanilla wafers or animal crackers. I have used ginger snaps too.  If you like sweet and salty then try serving it with pretzels, salty wheat crackers or Town House Crackers. 

Beat softened cream cheese, butter, & vanilla until creamy. Slowly add sugars until blended. Stir in chocolate chips. Place mixture in a plastic container. Refrigerate for 1 -2 hours form into a ball and roll ball in pecans or more mini chocolate chips. It can be rolled in graham cracker crumbs although it is not a favorite of our family.  We prefer the nuts or chocolate chips.


Next up is a long-time favorite of ours.  I have been making this cake since 1975.  It is a favorite of my mother and my husband.  It is a very  moist cake filled with chocolate chips, nuts and pumpkin...Tasty!  I couldn't resist snapping this photo while it was on the cooling rack.  It really is picture perfect.  I am going to put it in the freezer, but when I serve it, I will drizzle it with a confectioner sugar glaze.  Yum!
  

Choco Dot Pumpkin Cake

CHOCO-DOT PUMPKIN CAKE
Printed from COOKS.COM

2 c. flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground cloves
1/4 tsp. allspice
1/4 tsp. ginger
2 c. sugar
4 eggs
2 c. or 1 (1 lb.) can pumpkin
1 c. vegetable oil
1 c. Kellogg's Bran Bud cereal  (I use bran flakes)
1 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 c. coarsely chopped pecans
Sift together flour, baking powder, soda, salt, spices and sugar; set aside. In large mixing bowl, beat eggs until foamy. Add pumpkin, vegetable oil and Bran Buds/flakes cereal; mix well. Add sifted dry ingredients, mixing only until combined. Stir in chocolate morsels and nuts. Spread evenly in ungreased 4x10 inch tube pan. Bake at 350 degrees about 1 hour and 10 minutes or until wooden pick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool completely before removing from pan. Place on cake plate. Drizzle with powdered sugar glaze, if desired.

Hope you enjoy some of our family favorites!
 

No comments: