Friday, December 16, 2011

"Can't Catch Me, If You Can....I'm The....

Gingerbread Man Woman....At least that's the way it feels at this time of year.  I only make gingerbread at Christmas.  My granddaughter starts early in October making sure that I am going to make gingerbread cake...not cookies...she doesn't like them, but she loves, loves, loves my cakes.  This is a recipe I have used for years.  I am not sure where I got it.  I remember as a little girl (believe me that was a long time ago)  my grandmother making gingerbread cake and I thought it was the best stuff in the world.  Obviously my granddaughter feels the same way.  I made 6 cakes to put in the freezer for Christmas and already she has conned me into cutting two of them....!  Sometimes I think she could eat a whole one if I would let her...

One of my many cakes.  Will cut them in little squares and dust them with
Confectioner's Sugar.  Yummmmy!
Recipe
Old Fashioned Gingerbread Cake
1/2 cup white sugar                     1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup butter                             1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 egg                                         1/2 teaspoon ground cloves  
1 cup molasses                          1/2 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour        1 cup hot water
1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda

Preheat oven to 350 degrees (F) 175 degrees (C)  Grease and flour a 9 inch square baking pan .

In a large bowl cream together sugar and butter.  Add egg and mix well.  Mix in molasses and mix well.

In another bowl sift together flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger and cloves.  Blend into the creamed mixture.  Slowly stir in hot water.  Mix well.  Pour into prepared pan.

Bake 1 hour in a preheated oven, until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.  (I keep a close watch on this as it seems to burn easily).  Depending on your oven you may not need to bake it for an hour.  Cool in pan before serving.  Dust with Confectioner's Sugar just before serving.  Serves 12
When you see the rest of my post you will understand the gingerbread..LOL




Next Up:
A Tag using a digi image from
Just too adorable and it fit my cakes.  Well almost.
The border stamp is an oldie $1 stamp from Michaels by
Studio 6.  To/From stamp is by rubberstampede (that's an oldie too)
Challenges:
#119 Gingerbread
Stitching  (mine's faux...bet you couldn't tell that???)
#88 Tag You're It
Anything goes
# 113 Santa's Hat





This is a little box I made out of Kraft cardstock to put gingerbread in and
give as a gift.  I'ts just too cute... Love the way it turned out
I handmade the flowers and added lots of bling and glitter to them. Glittered my holly leaves too!
Did you know that when you cut out those little 1/2 inch tall gingerbread men, they run away?  I must have cut  10 of them and could only find 5 after cutting them out.  Just like the story... Wonder what ate mine..I don't think I have any foxes in my craftroom...Hummm....guess I had better check under my desk.
Gingerbread stamp is by Sudio 6 and I am not sure who the Merry Christmas is by ,  I want to say Hero Arts, but then it could be Inkadinkadoo...Don't have the stamp package in front of me at the time of this posting and my memory..ain't what it used to be!
Challenges:
#142 Christmas Glitz...Lots of bling and glitter
#RCC33 Tangled Twine
Christmas..Anything Goes
#46 Use red and green as your main colors in a Christmas card or project




Grouped Together It Makes a Great Gift Ensemble
Challenges:
Crafty Card Makers
Use the same stamp 3 ways
I have used mine as a border on the tag, Part of the sentiment on my box
and cut them out and used the ones that didn't run away in my floral arrangement on my box
Papertake Weekly
I'm dreaming of a (your favorite color) Christmas...
Obviously mine is red, green and gold
Top Tip Tuesday
#64 A Gift
Tuesday Throwdown
# 78 "For Someone Special"  (this is for my best friend)
Glad she doesn't have a computer, my
surprise would be ruined.

22 comments:

craftybunny said...

Such a cute tag.Love the twine and ribbon and your great colouring.Thanks for joining us at Craft Your Passion.Hope to see you again next week :D
Lisa x

Mynnette said...

Oh, that box is amazing!!! Your tag is just darling, too! :) LOVE the way you used the twine!!!

Pinkllilac said...

Love your box and tag Sally, all the details are so fabulous, so beautifully coloured.Yummy ginger bread cake and now I am starving after seeing that lol, thanks for sharing the recipe, yummy
Have a great Christmas and a truly blessed New Year.
Hugs Linda

Curlybear said...

OMGosh this is so very pretty, the image is adorable and its beautifully coloured, its just perfect for our Tag your it Challenges this week,

Thank you so much for joining us at Craft Your Passion, I hope you will come and join the fun next week,

Have a lovely day,
Hugs Bridget CYP GDT

lindyloo said...

Beautiful work thank u for joining us at crafty catz linda x

Lisa M said...

Completely wonderful and thoughtful gift. Love that it homemade, all around, and so personalized. Just wonderful!!
Thank you so much for sharing your family recipe as well. I can't wait to try this. :)

Thank you SO much for joining us at Top Tip Tuesday for our "Gift" challenge.

Good luck to you,
Lisa xx

Helen Dooley said...

LOVE it all. Great recipe, the tag is adorable and that box is an awesome way to give the gift! Thanks for playing along on For Fun.

Jana said...

You had me with the gingerbread cake. My husband begs for one every year. THEN your tag. OH. My. Goodness. How sweet is that tag! I love it. BUT THEN your gift box. WOW. I love all of the details. Those little gingerbread men are too cute. Thanks so much for playing along with us at OPUS GLUEI.
P.S. Do you need my address???

Electra said...

My goodness, you have been busy! I love the tag and the card, and the box...Thanks for joining us at Opus Gluei!

Deanna said...

Your box is beautiful. Your tag is just too cute, love it. And, no I couldn't tell it was faux stitching! Thanks for playing along with us at Scrappy Frogs.

Sally said...

A beautiful set using such a cute little gingerbread stamp. The box is delightful, love the sparkle on the flowers. Thanx for joining us at Crafty Cardmakers this week.

CRAZYCRAFTSHED said...

Hi Sally
A gorgeous tag,thankyou for joining us this week at CraftyCatz
Hugs Dianne xx

Yolanda said...

Terrific box and tag. The flowers are so pretty. Thanks for joining in on the Tuesday Throwdown this week.

Rosemary said...

I love gingerbread cake, so I'd probably beg to raid the pantry as well! I love that you've got a new generation to carry on the tradition of Christmas gingerbread cakes. Now, about the gift box and tag - they are MARVELOUS! I love the extra special touches to the gift box and yes, those litter gingerbread men are swift! Thank you so much for sharing such "sweet" projects with us at Opus Gluei! Please run run as fast as you can and come back for our next challenge!

LaJanette said...

Everything is just so darn cute! Love the gingerbread theme all around; and your flowers are gorgeous!

Thanks for solving my mystery of what to take the my parents Christmas dinner:0)

Thanks for joining us at Top Tip Tuesday!

Hugs;
Janette
Psst...I have candy on my blog if you would like to take a peek:0)
LaJanette.blogspot.com

LaJanette said...

Everything is just so darn cute! Love the gingerbread theme all around; and your flowers are gorgeous!

Thanks for solving my mystery of what to take the my parents Christmas dinner:0)

Thanks for joining us at Top Tip Tuesday!

Hugs;
Janette
Psst...I have candy on my blog if you would like to take a peek:0)
LaJanette.blogspot.com

Aunty Sue said...

These are brilliant and thanks for joining Crafty Catz this week

Paige said...

Adorable! Love the gingerbread! Thanks for joining us at PTT!

Laurel said...

Fabulous creations! Thanks for playing at RCC.

Sharon Caudle said...

Awesome! Fabulous Christmas project! Thanks so much for joining us at Papertake Weekly and hope you join us again soon! Merry Christmas!!
hugs, Sharon

Kathy D. said...

Oh the gift pack of a gingerbread cake is just too cute. I like that image from Bow and Berries too! Your tag is perfect and cute all at the same time.

Thanks for playing with us at For Fun Challenges. Hope to see you this week as we have a new challenge posted.

fionalawlor said...

These are just gorgeous! The little gingerbread men are sooo cute :) Thanks for playing along with us at Crafty Cardmakers.
Fiona x