Thursday, November 3, 2011

With Sympathy

Tough title and even more difficult to make these type of cards.  At least for me it is.  This week my uncle passed away so I have been beavering away trying to make some sympathy cards that convey my thoughts, however these have definitely fallen short of that mark, so I will be going out today to buy cards that I need. 

After the service yesterday my cousins and I were sitting talking about how we have suddenly become the "older generation".  We all feel that it just sneaked in without any warning.  One day we had a housefull of Aunts and Uncles and now there are only 2, my parents being one of them.  I am truly blessed to still have them. 

We talked about the legacy that our parents had left and will leave us. Without hesitation we all agreed that our parents have and will leave us something worth far more than anything tangible.  We all feel they left us the gift of "family love & caring".  That is not something money can buy. It is beyond measure one of the greatest gifts any parent could leave their children.   We talked about how as children we may not have had everything that we wanted, but we never lacked for love.  Since having had that conversation with my cousins, I wonder if my son will feel that I have left him with the legacy of "family love".  I certainly hope so.

Now onto these cards.....Still not thrilled with them.  At the time I thought they were perfect...not too much and not too little, but now they just don't feel right.  Since they are not ones that I am going to send at this time, I thought I would add them to a few challenges that they fit.


With this first card I made my own background using a fall color palate of inks and a stippling brush.  Love that background technique.  It is quick and easy and always seems to work well.
 Challenges:
Top Tip Tuesday  Make your own background
***(My tip is to use inks and a stippling brush to make a quick and easy, yet classy background)



 Challenges:
Sketch
 Challenges:
Use your birthflower or colors of your birthflower
Mine is a cosmos.. Since I didn't have one
I used the colors of orange and yellows.
Button Up

14 comments:

Lisa M said...

What a truly beautiful card for an honestly touching post. You have been blessed with the best gift possible. :) Made me want to hug my kids again after I read it! They're at school, so they'll get double when they walk through the door.
I personally love your card...I wouldn't change a thing. :)

Thank you so much for playing along with us at Top Tip Tuesday!

Lisa xx

Cheryl said...

oh sally hun so sorry to hear about your uncles always hard to make those kind of cards but hun,these are just beautiful,think they are just perfect hun hugs cherylxxx

Heike said...

Wow, what a wonderful card. Thanks for joining us this week at Top Tip Tuesday and good luck.

Hugs
Heike

Bobby said...

Usually I go to blogs for card inspiration but yours is a little different. I could have actually written the first part of your blog as my parents, at 95 and 93, are the last living siblings on either side, and I feel lucky to still have them. As for your cards, you may not like them but the fact that you made them will mean more any thoughts you have about their imperfections to the recipients.

Patty Sue 2 said...

I am so sorry to hear about your loss. I like you have been reflecting on how fast I have become the next generation to go. Makes you really appreciate the 'moments! By the way "Polar Ice" is a Flower soft that is longer than the usual flower soft.
Blessings to you and comfort.

papertrails leaver said...

A beautifully written post with a great message! Your cards are lovely and especially love the last one with the red flowers! Gorgeous! Thanksfor joining us at Sentimental Sundays! :-) Amy

Samantha said...

Lovely cards I Love them all and my condolences to you and your family!

Thanks for coming to play with us at Top Tip Tuesday for our Make your Own Backgrounds challenge I hope you can come play again soon you can enter up to 3 times per challenge, hugs Samantha :0)

Ps I have candy on my blog too! :0)

Julie M said...

Lovely cards, Sally, and a lovely blog post too. My sympathies to you and your family.

Thanks for joining us on PaperPlay this week.

Julie :o)

LaJanette said...

I am sorry for your loss. I can tell you that these cards are just perfect. I love your background paper and your tip is brilliant!

Thanks for playing along with us this week over at Top Tip Tuesday; hope to see you back often:0)

Hugs;
Janette

Calypso's Crafts said...

I am so sorry to hear about your loss and my blessings go out to you and your family. Your cards were made with a purpose to express love and I know that your recipients will love them very much. Thank you for joining us at Sentimental Sundays.

Hugs,
Calypso

whoistracy said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your uncle. I'll keep your family in my thoughts.

Your cards are gorgeous and I hope making them brought you some comfort. We're glad you could play along with us on Card Patterns this week.

HandmadebyTLC said...

This is brilliantly designed and I love the colors too! Perfect for the Sentimental Sundays Challenge this week, hope you join us again today for our new Wedding Challenge and good luck!
Hugs,
Tammy Louise
PW if you collect candy, visit here http://handmadebytlc.blogspot.com

Tameko said...

I can so relate to the thoughts that you shared. With the passing of a couple of family members in recent months, I have been very reflective on how little time we really have with those we love. All of your cards are beautiful. Thanks for joining the Sentimental Sundays - "Birth flower Challenge".

nicoleqmullen said...

So sorry to hear of your loss. Beautiful cards, Thanks so much for playing along with Paperplay this week.