Friday, September 23, 2011

A Question and Note Cards with Matching Box

The other day when my Son and DIL wnt to school for beginning year openhouse, to learn all the expectations of the new year, they were told their children would no longer be required to learn to write or read cursive handwriting.  Now I am thinking, how are these kids ever going to sign their names? Will they never have to sign legal documents again?  My question is....My granddaughter is going on 7 and I have been scrapbooking about her before she was  born.  In my scrapbooking it is my journal to her.  I journaled in my handwriting, what I was feeling about her at that moment in time.  Now she will never be able to go back and read them when she gets older.  They will be like a foreign language to her.  I have written tons of notes and letters over the years that I have hidden in compartments throughout her many scrapbooks.  I guess I could go back and type all of those, but I am afraid if I read them then I will change things in them.  I really don't want to do that because that was my thoughts at the time...not my thoughts now.  I thought maybe this was just in the school where my granddaughter is, but my brother lives in another state and is a HS English teacher.  He told me that it's true everywhere, because if he comments on a student's paper he has to print because they can't read cursive.  How truly sad is this to lose another part of our heritage.  Believe me my cursive penmanship is much better than my printing.  Never could get the hang of printing block style.  Any suggestions out there?

I was going through my posts and found these items in a draft that for some reason I never finished.  I made this project early in the year and it has been hanging around unposted all this time.  Maybe I was a little disappointed in the photos as they really don't show how pretty these cards are eventhough they are clean and simple.

I found this template at papertreyink and fell in love with it.  I contacted the Lauren Meader who made the template and asked her if it was ok if I used her box to house these cards and she gave me permission as long as I gave her credit.  Her shop is My Time Made Easy, however this template was purchased from papertrey ink.  Anyway the instructions were for a ribbon closure at the top but I used a magnet instead.  I am hoping that was ok.

I made 8 note cards to match the box.  They are plain inside so you can write your own message and use them for whatever you need them for.  I used designer paper from DCWV Rustic Stack.  I have not had much time to craft so they are not as detailed as I usually like to do, but at least it has given me some "me time"

These might fit the following challenges:
Fab N Funky  A Hard Theme...anything difficult for you to create.. Mine is Clean and simple.  Everything always looks so plain when I get finished with it.
Truly Scrumptious  Clean N Simple
Alphabet Challenge  Q is for Quick and simple
One Stitch At a Time  Punch it.  (My square punch is dull after punching out so many squares)...

The cards may not be so great, but the box is a show stopper in my book.  Love this template...


11 comments:

Cheryl said...

oh just love these hun,those papers are stunning and the detail is amazing,hugs cherylxxxxxx

happyglitzygirl said...

Beautiful and elegant and a great gift. Thanks for playing with us at the Alphabet Challenge, blessings Hilde

Emma H said...

Beautiful set, they don't look too plain at all! Thanks for sharing with us at Fab N Funky this week!

lisbeth said...

Love your card. Thanks for joining us at Truly S this week

lisbeth said...

Love your card. Thanks for joining us at Truly S this week

Becky Garrison said...

Beautiful cards - although the cards are simple, you put a lot of work into the sets! Thanks so much for joining us this week at Alphabet Challenge Blog!

Marlies said...

These look realy elegant, you put a lot of work into this, making the cards and the beautiful box! Gorgeous result! Thanks for joining us at Truly Scrumptious,
hugs, Marlies

Sarpreet said...

such a beautiful card, sorry have not been to your blog for a while, if it is not my leg, it is something else, hope all is well.

Scrappychick said...

Beautiful set :) Thanks for joining us this week at Fab'n'Funky, we hope to see you again and good luck!
Cyndi

Marjo said...

Gorgalicious set, such a wonderful project. THanks so much for sharing with us at OSAAT

xoxo Marjo

Shirley said...

Okay, so did anyone read your post! I had heard about the cursive thing and, to me, it's one more way we are letting down our children in our education system. A really dumb idea if you ask me, but they didn't! :D Your cards and container are just lovely!!!