Saturday, October 10, 2009

When It Rains It Pours

My phone started ringing at 6:45 AM yesterday and I thought to myself, this cannot be a good sign, but it was just my DIL telling me David would stop by and leave off Miss V's medication after he dropped her off at school. I thought wow that was sure a relief. Nothing to worry about there. My relief, didn't last very long. The next phone call I received was a call from the hospital emergency room doctor looking for my son. I thought Kathy had been in a car accident and all kinds of things ran through my mind in the space of a few seconds. They told me that she had fallen down the steps at work. I told them he was due to be at my house in a few minutes and I would relay the message. As it seems DIL got to work a little early so she was in the employee lounge waiting for time for her shift. She started down the steps to the time clock and fell. She broke 3 bones in her ankle completely in half and broke her heel. She had to have emergency surgery. They were able to repair part of the bone by putting in a permanent plate, but was unable to put a plate in another area as it would stop the blood flow. They had to put a brace on the outside of her ankle with screws going from it into the bone to help pull the bones together and there has been nerve damage, but they won't know the severity of it until later. The doctors told us that Kathy would go through hell over the next 2 months so to be very patient with her. She will also have to have surgery again to have the brace and screws removed. She will need total care for the next 2 months. I am hoping she will make the decision to stay with us during the day at least so we can take care of her and then David can watch her at night.
As I sat at the hospital with my son I felt so helpless as to know what to do to alleviate his anxiety. I have never seen such a look of despair on any one's face in my life, but it was at that moment, I realized my son truly loves his wife and he would be so lost without her. In spite of all that has happened and all that we must go through yet, God has been so good to us. It could have been so much worse and it could have been her right foot instead of her left, which means at some point she will be able to drive while she is still healing. He also gave the doctors the skill to know how to put her ankle back in place and I am assured that He will keep her in His loving embrace while she is healing.
Poor Miss V doesn't know what to think. Last night when I was putting her to bed she said her prayers and a special prayer for her mommy. She was up since 3 this morning worrying about her mom. I sat in the rocking chair holding her and talking to her about her mom and how she could be a big girl and ways she could help her mom when she comes home from the hospital. She finally fell back asleep a half an hour ago.
If I am not around much for the next few months, I hope you understand I will be reading your blogs, just won't have a lot of time to post. You all will be helping me keep my sanity. Thanks for listening to me vent!

7 comments:

JanJ said...

Oh Sally it just seems to be one thing after another. But thank goodness it wasn't any worse & I admire your faith which I'm sure will help you.

all the best

Jan xx

stampinfrog said...

I am so sorry to hear this about your DIL. Hopefully it will be better than what the Doctor has told you! Keeping your family and DIL in my thoughts and prayers!
Hugs,Connie

mitch1066 said...

oh my goodness,my thoughts are with her.I had never broken anything in 42 years and this year i broke a finger and then my foot.Its been 7 months and my foot is still not back to normal and it was a small break .It takes a long time to heal!!she's going to need a lot of help and a lot of patience.

Bev said...

Oh my friend, what an awful thing to happen to poor Kathy, I feel for you all. There is not much worse than the feeling of utter helplessness when you see your loved ones suffer. I do hope she makes a full and speedy recovery. Hugs for you all xxx

Cindy said...

Wow, Sally. I'm so sorry to hear about your DIL's accident, but glad it wasn't worse than it is. Keeping you all in my prayers. Hugs, Cindy E.

Vee said...

Oh Sally you certainly don't have your troubles to seek. So sorry about you DIL accident. Still she has a kind and loving family around her and I'm sure she will come through it with all your help and love.
xx Vee

thread-bare said...

Oh Sally how awful for Kathy. I hope she is recovering well & I bet Miss V is quite the little nurse maid xx Clare x