Tuesday, September 15, 2009

I Need Some Opinions - Please Be Honest

As some of you know, I have a little website that I sell things on from time to time. I have never really invested much time trying to make it a productive sales site, but with the economy being the way it is....hubby and I had a discussion and of course he is right. Not that I conceeded that to him at all. LOL.

Anyway, when I post things for sale on my website, I post them as near to cost as I can get them. I really only want to recoup my money so I can continue to purchase the things I like to use. I don't post anything on my web that I don't use. If I like it then I'm willing to share.

A few of the things I have been toying with adding are: Glue Glider Pro and the refills, packages of Michael's bridal table confetti in multi colors. I think I have at least 6-8 colors and there would be at least 20 of each color in the package for around 2.50 - 3.00 and lastly the bow easy, which I have already ordered. I love that little gizmo. It is the neatest thing for making tiny bows I have ever seen. You can just almost mass produce them. Of course postage will always be exactly what the post office charges me as I hate paying postage. There will never be any handling charges. Exact postage only. Can you please let me know what you think. I really do value each of your opinions, or maybe I should just close my website?

Thanks bunches.
Sally

Update:
From reading the first comment I can see that I didn't make myself clear. I am not running a website to make a profit only to be able to buy supplies to craft with. I am sure I am not the only out there in blogland who loves to craft but finds it increasingly difficult to purchase supplies because of a fixed income. It is my one release from stress that I have and I'd hate to have to give it up, so if I can share what I purchase at reasonable prices with my fellow crafters that is what I want. I am not setting myself up to fail as there is no failure to it. I don't want to sell things that I have not tried and found that they truly do work and do what they say they will do. So many times I have purchased things only to toss them away because of not working as touted. As far as handling goes. I just can't justify it. I know it takes time to package and ship, but that is the least I can do for my customer. I appreciate their buying their product from me so why not show them in some small way that I really do appreciate it and what better way to charge them 1.95 that the post office charges rather than 4.95 shipping and handling for the same product? A lot of times I don't buy because the shipping is more than the item I want to purchase or half as much. I'd rather sell 10 items at postage cost than one item at 4.95. Also the post office will pick my packages up for free and I can use their mailers for free if the item is more than 4.95 and fits into that size mailer.

I hope this makes it a little clearer

3 comments:

Ruthie said...

Hiya Sally - I am no expert (she says first thing!) - but I would find out what people want and try to sell that rather than selling things that you like. You might love something to death but it may not be everyones cup of tea and therefore you will get no sales. Trying to find something innovative or unusual can work well too - I sometimes search for "unusual crafts" or "innovative crafts" just to find something new or unusual.
I agree that you should try and keep things inexpensive, but you do need to make a profit else why bother? No one begrudges someone for making a reasonable profit - if no one makes any profit then why do they bother doing it?
Can you negotiate a better discount on buying in - you will then make a better profit without having to put prices up too much.
I agree with you about postage but you should put a small handling charge onto everything - it takes you time to process the order, wrap it and take it to the post office - it is not unreasonable to factor this into your postage costs - you can explain this element on your page so that people know that you charge £x for the actual work that is involved in sending a package out.

I really think that you need to go back to the drawing board and decide what you "need" to sell to make a profit - you may want to sell some things but there may not be a sufficient profit in doing so....dont forget that your time costs as well! You may never be able to pay yourself the true cost of your time, but you should aim to get close to it!
Hope you can get things going - but do give yourself a deadline to see a turn around and set yourself targets - ie...within 3 weeks I will have identified and sourced 10 new product lines to sell (assuming you need to do this asap and have the time to spend)...then maybe within 3 months I will have made £x (or covered the cost of hosting the website etc)...you get the idea. Fail to plan and you plan to fail!!!

Hope it goes well for you

Rx

a portland granny said...

I think its a great idea! In fact I was just looking through my pearls from my last order with you and thinking about what I need to re-order soon. that bow makes sounds wonderful!! I am ll thumbs!

The table glitter I don't know about. Do you have anything you have made with it to showcase what can be one with it??

Chrissy D said...

I like this idea! If it doesn't cost you a lot to make it work - and it helps pay for what you love to do, I say go for it Sally! God wants you to use your talent to bless others and this is one way that you can do it! Saying prayers of wisdom to you!