Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Our DIY Weekend

I thought you might like to see why I have not been crafting lately and to see what hubby and I have been working on. This was started on Friday. Now the mess is for us to finish! LOL Be warned there are several pictures. Hubby and I are not DIY people, but after paying the contractor to dig and install the french drain we have decided that we can finish it, even if it takes us all summer.


This is the view of our 10 foot back yard before beginning work on the french drain. We truly only have 10 feet of lawn from our back patio to the neighbor's back yard. This is my view from my patio and my family room. Absolutely NO privacy!


Just to give you some idea, our property line ends at the end of the shadow. Not much to mow in the back of the house, but the side yard and the front makes up for it.


Beginning the dig. We have over 100 feet of drain to install.






We had this fence installed to give us a little privacy
side view of fence.
We planted arborvitae in back of the fence and in a couple years they will give us the privacy we desire. We won't let them get over 6 feet tall and will probably not let them get more than 3 ft wide. Now we have to let the soil over the drain line settle, then rake it down and sow it in grass again. Also plant the flowers in front of the fence. We also poured a concrete apron on the side of the patio where we will set our grill for grilling now. I had never poured concrete before and let me tell you, no one told me not to put your hands in it. It literally ate the skin off my hands. LOL, and I am so sunburned I look like a lobster. When it is all finished I will try to take another picture.

7 comments:

Marcea said...

wow Sally, I love your fence and all you have done so far! Looks like you have a busy summer ahead of you sweetie but it will all be worth it. Hope your hands are better soon
-x-

Vee said...

Wow!! Sally this is really great. What a difference you have made already. I love your fence it's fab and as you say when your trees grow you will be quite secluded and private behind them. Well done.
xx Vee

Cathy said...

Wow Sally, that sure look nice. You are both doing a lovely job. I love the fence. You didn't say why you have to put in the French drain in the first place? It looks like flat land to me and how could you get a lot of standing water? Very nice job...

Linda Crowder said...

You place is so pretty. I love the fence! And your shrubs really set it all off. French drain? TOO MUCH WORK! But such a practical thing to have. You go girl!

Kim Dellow said...

You did manage to get a lot done then Sally! The fence is fab. Hope the lobster look has turned to tan. I am so not a tanner I keep the lobster red and then it just peels away LOL! So you been DIY-ing this weekend too? Kim

Bev said...

Oh my goodness, talk abouta marathon - I HATE DIY in any form lol x

thread-bare said...

Wow what an amazing amount of work you have put in Sally. Your poor hands though hun xx Clare x