Monday, January 5, 2009

Difficult Day

Since I only have one blog, I cannot divide my family from my crafting and not that I really want too because I get 90% of my inspiration from them.

Today is my Dad's 84th birthday and should have been the usual celebration that we normally have with family gathered round, having pizza, cake and ice cream. Not dietary in any way, but then hey, it's a celebration. I always sit and watch my dad's reaction to the family members around him and for the most part he is a quiet man and you can see the tenderness in his eyes as they travel from one family member to the next, and should your eyes meet his in that glance he will mouth the words "I love you" or "your beautiful". My dad has always been an affectionate man, and has always shown his children so much love along with his stern discipline. But today was not the usual birthday celebration because we had to bury his last remaining sister. Dad took her passing very hard as she helped to raise him when he was little, so thay had a very special bond. For years my dad never missed a week of making that 50 mile round trip to visit his sister unless he was ill and then he would always call to talk to her so she wouldn't worry. He would always take her something, a piece of fruit or piece of cake that my mother had baked. I can't even begin to imagine how difficult these next few months are going to be for him.

As I sat with them today at the funeral I truly realized how fortunate I am at 58 years of age to still have my dad and mom with me and in reasonably good health. As the minister spoke I let the words he said sink deep into my soul and left the funeral service with a calm peace and renewed spirit. As we drove to the cemetary we reminisced a bit and my dad gave me some smiles. The cemetary was old and the road into it was not very well paved. As we walked to the grave my dad would stumble while holding to my arm. After about the 3rd time of his being frustrated from the near stumble, I said dad do you remember when my brother and me were little and you took us to see our aunt and uncle who lived on a dirt road and we had to walk part of the way to get to their house because the road was so bad you couldn't drive? He nodded that he did. Then I asked him if he remembered what my brother said, he started to smile and I said your right he wouldn't have liked these sidewalks one bit because the stones make you stumble. He stopped, looked and me and truly laughed. After that when he stumbled, he just said, I don't like these sidewalks either!

After the interrment we went to a hall for a family dinner. There were close to 100 relatives there. One of my aunt's granddaughters got everyone's attention and they sung happy birthday to my dad, so even in death they celebrated his life. That will always be so special to me, because in their grief, they put it aside to honor my dad. Out of 8 children there are only 3 left now, all in their 80's. Not one of us knows what the future holds, but whatever it is.....I'm thankful for my DAD! (and mother)!

8 comments:

a portland granny said...

What a lovely tribute to your Dad....and what a faithful brother he was to his sister. You are fortunate to have your parents together for such a long time. I was 68 when I lost my mother at age 96 and have always known what a privilege it is to have one or both parents beside us well into our older years. You are blessed!!

Rach said...

your post has brought tears to my eyes..Your Dad sounds like a truly wonderful man.
Sending birthday wishes, while thinking of you at this sad time... hugs rachxx

Bev said...

Sally, I hope your dad sees this post - I have goosebumps the size of golfballs after reading it! I am so glad you treasure your parents, my father I have not seen for 25 years and my mother - last time I saw her was 8 years ago.

When you have a chance, there is something for you on my blog

B xx

Chrissy D said...

Sally *HUGS* for your recent loss. Your story brought tears to my eyes. Happy Birthday to your dad. I did/do not have a dad like that, but I am blessed to know others who have a dad who loves them so. What a treasured heritage you hold for your family. Beautiful memories. God Bless You today!

Roz said...

Beautiful... The words were very moving. I hope you continue to have many more happy years with your mum and dad...
Happy Birthday to your dad as well.

Love Roz x

Karen said...

That was sad and lovely to read: Having lost my parents aged 63 and 61 it is lovely that you still have yours and, more importantly, can appreciate that.

my name is Linda said...

Hi Sally what a lovely tribute to your dad he sounds a wondefull man, it brought tears to my eyes reading this and reminded me of my dad who dies when I was 25 but think of him often.
Hugs Pinklilac

A Stroke Above said...

I didn't see my previous comment here, so maybe it was lost. I don't remember exactly what I said, but I understand your pain. My heart goes out to your Dad and I am glad you all are there for him. He sounds like an exceptional man. God bless all of you. I know how hard loss is. I lost my parents in the 70's. It would have been wonderful to have them around at this age! Take care. Linda Crowder